Welcome to Rob and Danielle's Blog!

Rob has PKD and started dialysis in January 2008. He is waiting for a kidney transplant. He currently undergoes nocturnal in-center hemodialysis 3 nights/week. Rob and Danielle are both Christians who strive to live a life of obedience to God's commands. We are praying that the transplant comes from a living donor.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The man who knows no strangers.

A few weeks back, I had an interesting conversation with a man who came into the shop where I work. I didn't think anything of it at the time, I was cordial to him, like I would be to any customer. He was buying shoes and pedals for his son. As we talked, I spoke of a new pair of shoes I had just purchased for my wife. I was excited for my wife because she needed a new pair of shoes so badly. The shoes we replaced were a $240 pair of Italian Cycling shoes that had grown too small. Her feet have continued to grow into adulthood, they aren't monstrous and manly by any stretch, they are still beautiful and feminine, just a little longer than most women.

This man and I spoke of racing and I mentioned Danielle's accolades and the fact that I was semi-retired from racing myself. You could say I was fishing for my customer to pry as to why I am semi-retired, which he did. I told him I was waiting for a kidney transplant and that I currently do not have any kidneys. (I find it amazing that God made us able to live without vital organs, so I like to share about it.) He and I spoke in more detail about my health issues and he went on his way.

A week or two went by when my Pastor called me and asked if I knew a particular man. He gave me his name and it sounded familiar. I looked him up in our database to verify and told my pastor that the man he asked about and my customer were one in the same. It turned out, he was the editor for a Baptist Newspaper and had written about our interaction, but in vague terms to keep me anonymous. (I would guess.) My Pastor had assumed it was me, how many people without kidneys work in a bike shop anywhere, much less North Carolina?

I thought it was neat that someone would be interested enough in my story to write about our interaction. My Pastor sent a copy of the story to me and I left it at that.

A few days later, my new friend came into the shop with some interesting news. A Reverend from a small church near Wilmington, NC had called the newspaper office and offered to donate a kidney to me, provided we were a match. I responded in a similar manner that I have whenever I have had someone offered in the past, sheer gratitude, near tears, and do what I can to stay standing. I knew it was a long shot, but I felt very blessed. Here was a man who I have never met, offering a kidney to help me live a better, more fulfilling life. My new friend passed along this man's information and left his contact info so he could keep tabs on the story.

I called the Reverend a few days later. We were unsure of his blood type at first. I need type O blood, positive or negative and preferably up to 6 genetic markers. I have had some friends match with upwards of 4 genetic markers, but for one reason or another, it wasn't in God's plan for us to match up. Because of previous disappointment, I did not put a lot of hope in this working out. While I was still grateful, he turned out to have B+ blood.

He said he would bring it to his congregation, if it is to be, then God will make it so. All the while, I plan on keeping faithful to God and if a kidney is in God's plan for me, I will praise him, and I will continue to praise him even if it is not.

1 comment:

  1. Rob,
    You might look into the possibility of kidney swap program. Maybe the man with the B type can give a kidney to someone who needs a B who has a relative with an O that would suit your needs.

    Wishing you and Danielle the hest always,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete