Welcome to Rob and Danielle's Blog!

Rob has PKD and started dialysis in January 2008. He is waiting for a kidney transplant. He currently undergoes nocturnal in-center hemodialysis 3 nights/week. Rob and Danielle are both Christians who strive to live a life of obedience to God's commands. We are praying that the transplant comes from a living donor.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Great Full Day!

So, today started off slow, getting out of bed to Danielle telling me I need to get ready for church. When I actually got out of bed, she grabbed me and danced me into the kitchen so I would not be motivated to dive back into bed. I love a warm, cozy bed on a cool morning. As I was pulled away from it, I heard it calling my name, then it drifted off in the distance as I woke more.

We had talked about driving to Greensboro to ride at Owl's Roost after church, so I was excited, looking forward to a ride at a trail we don't ride often. Now that I don't have kidneys, I need to find alternative ways to take off fluid outside of dialysis and have found sweating is one of the only other ways outside of not drinking anything.

I had a new experience at church this morning, I was called to lead the Sunday school for the preschoolers this morning. When it got back to Danielle that the kids behaved perfectly for me during story time, she looked excited. Apparently, they tend to squirm around on the other teachers. I did have a lot of help from our friends Kirstie and James. Kirstie was the helper and James and his wife Rachel have two children in the class.

After church, we went to Arby's for lunch where I was only allowed to have half of my mint chocolate milkshake, once I drank half, okay, 2/3 of it, Danielle "stole" it and placed it at the other end of the table. While watching my fluid is one of the toughest parts of kidney failure, it is great to have a partner who helps you watch how much fluid you are taking on.

On occasion, I get a thirst like no other and I am a gulper. Taking sips just doesn't do the trick, especially when it is ice cold soda, water, or juice. I need to tell the server at restaurants not to bring a refill because I will drink it and while it will be great for the moment, it will hit me hardest during treatment.

The problem with taking too much off, is your body can only take so much without giving you a fluid imbalance. The other night, I had to take of 6.3 liters (13.86 lbs.) of fluid. Think about how your body would feel if you had to take off almost 15 lbs in 8 hours. To think that is a pretty regular number for me. If I don't do things like bike riding or running to get my blood flowing, I am lethargic all day.

Anyway, back to the day. We decided to go over to another friend, Karen, who had surgery and has trouble getting around. We hung out for a half hour and saw that she is in good spirits.

When we got home, we decided Greensboro was too far to drive for the time of day if we were to get a decent ride in. We decided on riding at the Hog Run trails at Harris Lake.

The ride went well for me, but not so well for Danielle. Her feet were killing her, her Sidi's that used to fit well, now are too tight. Apparently he feet have grown a size and the new shoes I ordered for her have not come in yet.

We rode for 40 minutes at a leisurely pace. We just rode the Beginner loop and the Intermediate loop twice. I didn't want to tire out on the advanced loop and have to push through the pain and exhaustion to make it back to the truck. I had a lot of fun, but then, I usually do when I ride with Danielle.

Here we are at the end of the ride:

kissing after our bike ride

I know, we are such a cute couple. I love this picture of us.

On the way home, I asked Danielle if she wanted to hit up a new restaurant in Southpoint called Los Portales. She said sure, so we headed off. I had something that was way off the diet plan, it was fajita chicken with chorizo, covered in cheese sauce that you placed on warm tortillas and added lettuce, guac, and salsa. It was amazing, loaded with flavor I haven't had in a while. A dialysis diet tends to be very bland. Danielle had an enchilada plate that looked equally yummy.

Sorry if this was a little disjointed, this was my first attempt at blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment