Welcome to Rob and Danielle's Blog!

Rob has PKD and started dialysis in January 2008. He is waiting for a kidney transplant. He currently undergoes nocturnal in-center hemodialysis 3 nights/week. Rob and Danielle are both Christians who strive to live a life of obedience to God's commands. We are praying that the transplant comes from a living donor.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The train don't run into Witchita, less'n you're a hog, the people train runs out of Stubbville...

What a nice day we had! The day started out with Rob kissing me at 4:45am and me asking him, "How was dialysis?", which is what I usually do every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings when Rob comes home from his nocturnal hemo treatment. He went into treatment a little bit earlier because the nursing staff wanted to get off work earlier and get home to their family celebrations. Well, then I rolled over closer to Gunnie and Taylor and fell back asleep until 10am! Sleeping in on days when I don't work is so nice.

Rob got some extra sleep from 4:45 until 10:30am when he finally had enough energy to get moving. Dialysis makes him a little tired, especially after nights when he doesn't sleep very well. (He forgot to take his Ambien!)

I had one major chore to complete this morning before our guest came over - I had to give Gunnie and Taylor their bath, and then clean the entire bathroom top-to-bottom. Ugh! I don't mind giving the dogs a bath, but it's the entire cleaning up afterward that's hard. The dogs get so much hair everywhere!

A couple hours of cleaning later, I was still in my PJ's, and our guest, Leslie, came over. Oops, time to get showered and dressed, I guess! :)

We snacked on triscuits, hummus, spinach dip and ranch dip for "lunch". We started cooking around 2pm, and by 4:00 we were eating our dinner. I made my "world-famous, okay, Durham-famous" turkey burgers, and Rob made his super yummy homemade garlic mashed potatoes. This time Rob made them with a little extra kick of flavor by adding red chili peppers to them. Yum! In addition, we had cornbread stuffing and broccoli. For dessert, we had Leslie's famous Pumpkin Cobbler, which is absolutely delectable.

Thanksgiving dinner

After dinner, we watched our favorite Thanksgiving-themed movie. You know the one, the movie where John Candy and Steve Martin annoy each other on airplanes, trains, rental cars, Greyhound buses, taxicabs, and hotels. Steve's character just wants to get home to his wife and 3 kids for Thanksgiving dinner, and John Candy's character doesn't have a family to go home to at all. Despite the language in the one airport car rental scene, this is one movie that's a keeper in our DVD collection for many, many years to come. There are so many hilarious parts in this movie, like this one:

"YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY - YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY!! They said we're going the wrong way. How would they know where we're going? Yeah, how would they know? THANK YOU!!"

and this one: "I'm afraid to look at my butt, I might have those grill marks like a Whopper!"

Chilling with the dogs!

Then we all watched "Away We Go", one of my newest favorites. It's all about a couple of 30-somethings on a road trip in search of the perfect place to live after their baby is born. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it!

It was a very nice Thanksgiving. I just wish I could have celebrated this day with my family in California! Oh well, maybe next year, either we will be there or they will come out here.

Time to get to bed, as tomorrow is Black Friday and both Rob and I have to work. I'm working the 10 to 7 shift, and Rob is 8 to 5. I wonder how busy the mall will be? I've never gone shopping on Black Friday. I hope I don't get trampled on by Gap shoppers who are vying for the last red V-neck sweater on the shelf! :)

2 comments:

  1. wow Danille and Rob, you had a nice Thanksgiving day, and that makes me happy!! Yes, we wish you guys could be here too, or us there. Maybe next year, like you said. Our TG day was a good one, too. We are grateful for a lot. Including you, Rob, Rick, and lots of others, as well. Great picture of you and your girlfriend up there... those little dogs look relaxed and content as usual, and so do you... that's my girl!! I have got to go and rent that movie ... it MUST be good as much as you have watched it. Well, don't work too hard tomorrow at the BF sale!! I'm sure you'll be ready for a break and to get off you're feet by the time you get home. Glad your TG turned out well and you look so happy! Love ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Black Friday! You're about halfway through your shift and I hope everybody is nice to you! I thought of you last night...I did some shopping online at the Gap/Old Navy. I thought about asking you if you could get me a discount (:-)) but they don't sell tall stuff in the stores usually, and besides, it was 4 am in NC! I did pretty good anyways. I got that open-knit cowl sweater that's normally $60 for $24, and didn't pay shipping. I hope I like it! Anyhow, happy Black Friday! Tell Rob hello from me and Shannon

    ReplyDelete